Skip to main content

Temporary Assistance

Temporary Cash Assistance is provided to eligible clients through two major entitlement programs. The cash grant for each program includes a basic allowance, a rent or shelter allowance and an energy allowance. The amount of the grant is based on family size and total household income and expenses.  Staff monitor changes in case circumstances such as employment, shelter moves and changes in the number of persons in the household. Budgets are adjusted to reflect these changes, and cases are re-evaluated for eligibility on a regular basis (re-certifications).  Clients in receipt of cash benefits may also be eligible for Medical Assistance and Food Stamps.  The programs must be requested at the time of the application for cash assistance.    There is a lifetime limit of 60 months of cash benefits for adults.

Temporary Assistance workers determine county resident eligibility for the short-term financial assistance programs. 

Family Assistance (FA) - provides financial assistance to families with children deprived of support due to the death, absence or incapacity of a parent. This program is governed by federal and state regulations and is funded by Federal (50%), State (25%) and County (25%) dollars.  Adults in the household must meet employment requirements.

Temporary Assistance for single/childless adults (SN) - Safety Net (SN) - This State (50%) and County (50%) funded program that provides  financial assistance to  eligible needy individuals and families who are not categorically eligible for Aid to Dependent Children (ADC). 

This program provides benefits for:

  • Single adults 
  • Childless couples 
  • Children living apart from any adult relative 
  • Families of persons abusing drugs or alcohol 
  • Families of persons refusing drug/alcohol screening, assessment or treatment 
  • Persons who have exceeded the 60-month limit on assistance 
  • Aliens who are eligible for temporary assistance, but who are not eligible for federal reimbursement

Generally, you can receive cash for a maximum of two years in a lifetime. After that, if you are eligible, it is provided in non-cash form, such as a two party check or a voucher. In addition, non-cash Saftey Net Assistance is provided for:

  • Families of  persons abusing drugs or alcohol 
  • Families of persons refusing drug/alcohol screening, assessment or treatment

How do I apply for Temporary Assistance?

Visit your local department of Family Services  (8:00 am to 12:00 pm) in the county where you live and ask for an application package.  You must fill out the application form and turn it in. You may turn in the application the same day you get it. You should also identify any emergency needs you may have at this time.  Additional documentation will be required, including but not limited to proof of Identification is needed to apply.

For additional information go to: